Thursday, April 16, 2015

Capstone Project Progress

So far I have been unable to secure an interview with a film critic working in the field today, but am still trying. I have sent out emails to many different organizations and film reviewers and am still awaiting a response. I am working my way through the second book which I selected to reference for my presentation, and have learned several very important things already. The first being that the -5 to 5 scale that I have been utilizing up to this point is really not that effective, and I believe that using a simpler yes/no approach to reviews would work much better. The other major thing which I have discovered is that while there are many different approaches to criticism, honesty is the most important quality which you can develop and display. People who read criticism often only read the review to find out whether they should see it or not, and frequently don't read past the rating as they aren't interested in any kind of deconstruction or analysis. In this way, film criticism must deal with the same hurdles and difficulty as newspapers:  people will only read into an article if their attention is grabbed quick and early.

No comments:

Post a Comment